Density Experiment For Middle School :
There are lots of terms we learn at our school. It is always best to study about science via experiment. Density is the topic we learn in physics branch. Well today we are making density experiment which is most suitable for middle school students.
You can use this science experiment for understanding density. It can also be amazing science fair ideas. This awesome physics project can be easily made at your house or at classroom.
What is Density Experiment ?
Density is a science term which we read in physics. We all know that it is always best to learn by experiment. So we have been doing this layer density experiment. We have collected three liquids with different density and demo this science project.
If you are searching some science fair ideas for school students. This physics project can be great topics. This density experiment is best suitable for school students from class 4, 5 and 6.
This layer Density Experiment with balloon helps us to answers many questions like :
- How to do air density experiment ?
- What is air density ?
- Physics fair ideas.
Layer density experiment is best way to explain density. From this school science project we can learn about density and different types of liquid.. Now let us make our science project.
Materials Required for Layer Density Experiment :
We have made this cool science project using simple materials found at our house. Some of materials needed for making air pressure experiment are :
- Take a clean and color less beaker. If you do not have beaker then you can use any clear water glass. It is best if the glass is small and thin (has small radius).
- Another important material of our experiment are three different liquids. Three liquids are a liquid shop, water and oil. There three layers are easily available in our house. Some of other liquids you can also use are ribbon alcohol, pure milk, syrup, pure honey, etc.
- We need a ink. We have used a red colored ink for coloring water.
- For better and perfect work we need a dropper. We have used a syringe for this purpose. You can use any kind of dropper available at your house or school.
Layer Density Experiment Step By Step :
As our materials are collected, now let us start our science workshop. I suggest you to follow bellow steps for, How to demo density experiment.
- First of all take a liquid soap and gently pour it to the vessel we have in my case beaker. You can use any type of liquid soap either dish washing soap or cloth washing soap. Pour it about 2 centimeter height of beaker for better visual. [ Note Liquid soap must be colorful ]
- As liquid soap is poured, Its time to add water. We have added water with syringe. After water we also have added red color for better demo. (We suggest you to mix red ink with water before adding to the vessel.) It helps to increase the speed of process.
- Lastly its time to add oil which is in similar amount as of previous two.
- Finally our school science project layer density experiment is ready for demo.
Liquid Density Experiments Video :
For better demo of preparation of this project, we have embedded our working process below in video format.
Here is full process of making this school science project density experiment in video form. This is our YouTube channel DIY Projects. We also have crated many other school science projects in our channel. We also provide many science fair ideas for school students.
Density Experiments Explanation :
We can learn many things via this density experiment. Some of the important topics are noted bellow.
- Density :
Density can be defined as mass per unit volume. Symbol of density is rho (ρ).
From above we can study the definition of density. When two liquid are kept at same beaker (glass) then, what happens is the higher density liquid will sink and lighter density object will float.
Here, we have first pour the liquid soap since it has highest density among all liquid we have used. After liquid soap we have added water and finally oil. While doing so water simply floats over soap and oil also floats over water.
If we first pour water oil and then pour water. Then, water will sink and oil will float. same thing will happen when we add liquid soap at last.
This is all due to the difference in density of all liquid.
Advantages of Liquid Density Experiments :
There are lots of advantages of this density experiment. We have mention some of the merits below :
- We can get knowledge about density.
- This science project can be great science fair ideas.
- It also motivate us in science work shops.
Safety tips while making Liquid Density Experiment :
Our first priority before doing any science project must always be safety. We always suggest you to perform any science project protecting yourself.
- Always ware a safety glass which protects your eyes.
- Care fully use water. If not it may break and cut your body.
- Do this science project with your parents, teachers or any senior brother and sister.
Alternative process for making Density Experiments :
We can make a lot of science experiments that properly explains density experiment. One of good experiment is one we have shown above.
If you are searching some other science project that explains density experiment. Then you can demo the project known as floating egg experiment.
Here we have taken three glass and three eggs. In we add salt water. One glass contain two spoon salt water solution. Next glass contain one spoon salt water solution. We pour pure water on the last glass. When we add egg on these three solutions. One egg will perfectly float on water, In second one egg will partially sink and at last one egg will sink.
You can well learn about this experiment via Floating Egg Experiment .
Some of cool school science experiments :
- How to make Water Dispenser
- How To Make a Wheel And Axle
- School Science project Lungs Model
- Balloon Rocket Experiment
- How To make Compass At Home
If you like this science project or has any queries about how to do density experiment. Which is one of the experiment related to physics. You can simply comment us at our comment section.