Electricity is one form of energy that is produced due to flow of charge. We can use electricity in many ways such as lights, electric vehicles, running electronic devices as computer, television etc. Electricity can also be generated by different methods. Today we are making Electric Generator Science Project.
This science project electric generator helps us to understand about Dc motor. With some common items found around our house like plywood, dc motor, copper wire, led, etc. We can make this electric science project.
This electricity generation is best as 8th grade science projects. But also suitable for students who are in 7th,9th and 10th grade. This electricity science experiment is good source for understanding science terms like electricity, current, DC motor, charge, open circuit, close circuit, LED, etc.
How to make Electric Generator Science Project ?
We are making a simple science project kit that produce electricity. It is a well known fact that DC motor produce electricity as we rotate its shaft. And vice versa as electricity is supplied then it starts to rotate.
As we know property of dc motor. By simply rotation a dc motor we can produce electricity. Here we use some common materials like old CD arrangement to rotate shaft of dc motor.
This sample science experiment electricity generator can produce significant power to glow led. This same concept produces large energy as we enlarge the scale of motor.
Advantages of Electricity Generation Science Project :
There are lots of merits of electric science project. We have mentioned some of the advantages.
- This project helps student to learn phenomena of production of electricity.
- We can learn about DC motor.
- It inspires people to seek renewal source of electricity.
Materials required for making This science fair projects :
This science project is made using some common materials found around our house. Some of items required for making this electricity science fair project are :
- DC motor
- Pulley according to DC motor shaft size.
- LED (light emitting diode)
- Led holder
- Nut bolt and washer
- wooden stands
- Some of other basic materials are also needed such as diy mat, hot melting glue, pliers, etc.
There are different types of DC motor. We are using DC motor ranging 3volt to 12 volt. You can use any type of dc motor. It is best and easy if you use gear motor.
LED means light emitting diode. It is simple device that produce light when current is pass through it. We have use 1.5 volt rated led.
(NOTE: LED passes electricity only in one direction. If you connect LED in opposite direction then light does not glow’s. )
For reflecting Led light we are using a torch light holder.
Plywood is a rigid base. If you don’t have plywood, cardboard also works.
How to make Electric Generator Science Project Step By Step:
After collecting all the materials needed, let us start our science project. Here we have provided step by step guide.
- First of all let us make a wheel. For this take two old CD and circular cardboard . Apply hot melting glue to attach this cardboard and CD.
- Now glue wooden bar at base plywood.
- After this fix nut and bolt with CD and wooden bar. So that it ca be rotate freely.
- Attach one bamboo stick at the CD. This is our handle for rotating CD wheel.
- Solder Dc motor and led which is then attached at small wooden block as in video.
- A rubber band wire is belt for rotating CD wheel that rotates shaft of DC motor.
- Finally as we start rotating wheel LED starts to glow.
Science Project Electric Generator :
For better demo of this project, you can simply follow below video.
Here is full process of electric generation in video form. This is our YouTube channel DIY Projects. We also have created many other school science projects in our channel. We also provide many science fair ideas for school students.
Electricity is simply a form of energy due to movement of charge. It travels through a conductor mostly copper. We can use electricity to run different electronic appliances such as car, washing machine, cooker, heater, etc.
Types of Electricity :
Electricity is categorize into two types. They are static electricity and current electricity.
Static electricity :
Static electricity causes due to friction between two bodies. For example when we run a plastic pipe with our hair. After this as we bring this plastic near small paper pieces They attracts towards plastic pipe.
Current electricity :
Current is the flow of charge through conductor. For example a electric bulb glowing when switch is on. There are two types of current. They are direct current and alternating current.
Sources Of Electricity :
There are many electricity sources. We can divide them into three categories according to source. Renewable, Nonrenewable and Nuclear.
Renewable electricity :
This electric energy is mostly produce form renewable sources. For example, hydro power, wind power, solar panel, etc.
Nonrenewable electricity :
This electric power are produced from non renewable sources. For example, Oil source, Fossil fuel, etc.
Nuclear electricity :
There are different in a sense that, they are produce form nuclear reactor. Here reaction process takes place.
It is the type of electric circuit in which circuit is disconnect. Electricity does not pass through load.
Light does not glows !
It is the type of electric circuit in which circuit is connect. Electricity passes through load.
Light glows !
Advantages of electricity science fair projects :
There are lots of advantages of this science experiment. We have mention some of the merits below :
- This science experiment helps us to learn about DC motor.
- We can learn about different science terms such as charge, electricity, open circuit, close circuit,etc.
- This cool science project helps to increase interest in electricity.
Safety tips for this science fair project electric motor:
Our first priority before doing any science project is safety. Anyone must protecting him self or her self is prerequisite.
- Always ware a safety glass while making science projects, that protects your eyes.
- Care fully handle the soldering rod.
- Carry out this science project in presence of your parents, teachers or any seniors.
- Properly handle the hot melting glue, otherwise it may burn your body part.
Alternative to Electric Generation Science Fair Project :
There are lots of electricity relate science fair projects. Some of ideas are making lift using gear motor.Make DC motor itself.
Questions and Answers on Electric Generator Science Project :
What are the ways to save electricity?
Electric energy plays vital role in our life. We have to protect this energy as far as possible. some of them are:
- Turn off use of electric energy while not in operation.
- Use electronic gadgets that consumes less electricity.
- Give more priory for using renewable electric energy such as solar power.
- Fix the leakage currents.
How can we generate electricity at home?
We can generate electricity easily at home. There are lots of ways to produce electricity in house. One simple idea is put on solar grid. We can also harvest electric energy form wind as well as water source.
How do we get electricity from water?
Water is one of the main source of electricity via hydro powers. Hydro electric power consist large turbines. Which rotates form river water as a result electricity is produced. This energy comes to our house via electric poles.
Some of cool science project ideas :
- Simple electric car.
- Earthquake detector project
- Lungs model
- How to make compass at home ?
- Generate electricity from dc motor
If you are searching 8th grade science projects. I hope this experiment can be of great help. This is documentation that can be best for your work flow.
If you like this science project or has any queries about this project. You can simply comment us at our comment section.