Flashlight is one of the most essential gadget in our house. It is used for view during night and dark place. There are lots of models of flashlight in market. It’s price differ as its features and quality of manufacture. Well today we are making one battery-less flashlight. How to make battery less flashlight ?
Normally, we use battery as power source for torch light. Battery less flashlight are good options to decrease cost and increase habit of recycle.
Basically there are two ways to make battery less torch light
- DC motor flash light
- Shake flashlight
This mechanical flash light can be good science project for class 6. But is also suitable for students of grade 5 and 7 too. Some electronic device such as Gear motor, LED, etc are used while making this science project. This helps to understand about DC motor.
How To Make Battery Less Flashlight At Home ?
We can make a awesome flashlight with just a dc motor and led. DC motor has awesome property. When we supply electricity to dc motor then it produce mechanical force. i.e, rotation of shaft. Similarly when we apply force and rotate this shaft then DC motor in return produce electricity proportional to speed of rotation.
Mechanical Flash Light science project helps us to answers some questions like :
- How To Make Battery Less Flashlight?
- Different types of battery less flashlight.
- What is LED?
- DC motor and its application.
- Knowledge about Gear motor.
Materials required for making Battery less flashlight :
Let as make the list of materials that are necessary for making this science projects.
- LED ,
- Gear motor,
- light reflector,
- Toilet roller,
- metal rod.
Some of other basic materials we need are penchis, cutting mat, hot melting glue, cutter, scissor, soldering rod, etc.
LED ( light-emitting diode) is a semiconductor device that emits light when current passes through it.
Note : (Led are polarity in nature. i.e, light glows only in one direction of current flow. During opposite polarity light do not glows. )
Main source of power for this science project is Gear motor. Gear motor is simply combination of dc motor and gear in single unit.
A torch light reflector is recycle from old torch light.
We have made a handle using simple metal rod and penchis.
How To Make Mechanical Flash Light :
After collection of all the materials, It is time to start our science project. Here is step by step guide to make mechanical flash light.
- First of all take a LED. And connect jumping wire at it’s two terminals using soldering iron.
- Using hot glue attach this led with torch light reflector. Some other glue can also be used for this purpose.
- With the help of clamper cut excess jumping cable.
- Now solder this terminals with two terminals of gear motor.
- Cover this arrangement using toilet roll.
- Make a iron handle that can easily rotate gear motor.
- Finally, our science project is ready for use.
Battery Less Flashlight Video :
For better demo of this project, you can simply follow below video.
Here is full process of making this science fair project in video form. This is our YouTube channel DIY Projects. We also have created many other school science projects in our channel. We also provide many science fair ideas for school students.
We can learn a lot of knowledge from this Cool science project. Some of the important topics are noted bellow.
- LED Flash light :
LED flash light is essential gadget for us. We can categorize flash light ind different types on the basis of power source. Some use a simple battery as main power source. While other uses rechargeable battery. Solar panel are also attached at the body of light that acts as energy source. Where as some use mechanical energy.
- Gear motor :
Gear motor is basically a dc motor attached with gear in single unit. We can get different types of gear motor in market. Gear motor are marked with respect to rpm. If there a gear motor is indexed 60 rpm then this means that. This gear motor rotates 60 time in one minute when respecting potential difference is applied.
Gear is use to reduce the speed of rotation. In this type of motor input rotation is always greater then output rotation.
Advantages of how to make a Batteryless torch :
There are lots of advantages of this homemade torch light science project. We have mention some of the merits below :
- It is portable in nature. We can carry in different location easily.
- This science project helps to understand gear motor.
- We do not need battery as a power source. This decrease over all cost of gadget.
- Batteryless torch light is good example of recycling project.
- Mechanical force is used for lighting this flash light. It is small exercise.
- This science project inspires students for interest in science workshops.
Safety Tips for Battery Less Flashlight Science Project :
Our first priority before doing any science project is safety. Anyone must protecting him self or her self is prerequisite.
- Always ware a safety glass while making science projects, that protects your eyes.
- Carefully handle soldering rod. It may burn your hand.
- Properly handle hot melting glue as it may harm you.
- Carry out this science project in presence of your parents, teachers or any senior brother and sister.
Alternative project for how to make a flashlight :
There are many science project which is similar to this project. LED flash light science project is one cool idea. You can easily make this project from simple home stuff materials. These projects can be good science project ideas for up coming science fair.
Some of cool science project using dc motor :
- Simple electric car.
- Earthquake detector project
- Lungs model
- How to make compass at home ?
- Generate electricity from dc motor
Q&A on Mechanical Flashlight Science Project:
1. What is batteryless flash light?
Batteryless flash light is gadget that produce light energy with out any battery as a power source.
2. Different types of battery less flashlight
We can divide battery less flashlight into two types according to power source.
One is gear motor flash light. In this type of flash light we simply rotate the gear motor that produce light energy.
Other is shake flash light. Here we have to shake the whole torch light to light up the device.
3. Define Gear motor ?
Gear motor is simply a gadget that has both dc motor and gear arranged in single unit.
4. Why do we use gear motors ?
Gear motor is used to decrease the rpm of dc motor.We have to vary the rpm of dc motor as necessary. Which can be easily achieved via gear motor.
5. Advantages of gear motors:
There are lots of advantages of using gear motor . Some of them are mentioned below.
- It is use to reduce the speed of rotation of dc motor.
- They have stable speed range . This makes easy in operation.
- Due to its slow speed. We can perform it smoother and in controlled manner.
Battery less Flashlight Report :
If you are searching any 6th grade science fair projects. I hope this experiment can be of great help. This documentation can be best for your working model.
If you like this science project or has any queries about this project. You can simply comment us at our comment section.