Convection is a procedure in which hot fluid moves upward and cold fluid replaces it’s place. There are a lot of science projects related to convection process. Today we are making a convection current experiment. You can make this science project and learn about convection process in detail.
Convection current science projects is best suits for grade 5 and 6. There are many science projects for grade 5. Some of them are Air pressure experiment with balloon, Hydraulic crane, Magnetic car science project, and lot more.
Convection science project helps us learn different new science terms. Firstly it gives idea about convection process. It teaches us the phenomena of convection current. We can learn about the characteristics of fluid like gas and liquid. It helps to get idea about convection heat transfer.
What is Convection experiment ?
Convection experiment is a simple science experiments for 5th graders. This experiment helps to learn about convection phenomena. Smoke is supplied form one hole. When this smoke comes above candle it starts to rise up. As a result convection current forms.
Convection school science experiments helps us to answers many questions like :
- How to make Convection experiment ?
- What is convection current ?
- Convection heat transfer.
- It can be science fair projects for 5th graders.
Materials Required To Make Convection Experiment :
This 5th grade science fair projects is made with house hold materials. We have made this science experiment in detail video format also. Some of materials needed for this convection experiment are :
- Cardboard with different dimensions.
- Hard clear plastic is use for better vision.
- We have use four candles as heat source.
- For smoke source agarbatti is used.
- A basic stationary supplies like protractor, pencil, scale,scissor, glue, compass are must needed for this science project.
- Some of other items are tape, color paper, hot melting glue,etc.
Convection Current Experiment Process :
After all materials are collected now its time to make this science experiment.
- First of all let us make a main body where convection current experiment takes place.
- Take a cardboard with dimensions as,
- 2 cardboard with length 13.5cm and breadth of 10 cm for side doors.
- 2 cardboard with length 21cm and breadth of 10 cm as a top and bottom base.
- 2 cardboard with length 21cm and breadth of 12.5 cm as front and back cardboard.
- Draw a rectangular shape making equal scale.
- With the reference of this guide cut the cardboard using diy knife.
- Cut two holes from top cardboard.
- With the help of hot melting glue attach all cardboard’s.
- Attach a clear plastic on front for better visibility.
- Take the same plastic and make it round that perfectly fits at 2 holes of top cardboard.
- Now tape all the cardboard. One side cardboard is such kept, so that it can open and close as desire.
- Put four candles inside box and feed agarbatti for one top hole.
- Finally, convection current starts to flow.
Convection Experiment Video :
For better demo of preparation of this project, we have embedded our working process below in video format.
Here is full process of making this science project in video form. This is our YouTube channel DIY Projects. We also have crated many other school science projects in our channel. We also provide many science fair ideas for school students.
Convection Experiment Explanation :
We can get a lots of information from this convection experiment.
Convection is a process where hot air rises up and cold air comes in this vacant place. We have learn convection current process in our lesson. Convection takes place in both gas and liquid substance.
Gas and liquid :
Gas and liquid are the state of matter in which object tends to flow. There molecules are loosely packed in comparison to solid state matter.
Convection heat transfer :
Convection heat transfer is the process in which hot fluid (gas / liquid) rises up wards due to heat and close fluid comes in its place. This process is called convection heat transfer.
Convection current :
Due to convection heat transfer a contentious cycle is formed where hot fluid rises up and cold fluid replace this vacant place. This current is called convection current.
There are three ways of heat transfer conduction, convection and radiation.
Science fair projects for 5th grade :
This convection science experiment is very good science fair projects for 5th grade. We can also make some other science projects like floating egg experiment,Simple Electric Motor, Hovercraft, etc.
Advantages of Convection Science Project :
There are lots of advantages of this convection science project. We have mention some of the merits :
- Convection experiment brings interest in study about science .
- This project helps us to learn about convection heat transfer and convection current.
- It can be great science fair ideas for 5th grade.
Safety tips while making convection experiment :
Our first priority before doing any science project must always be safety. We always suggest you to perform any science project protecting yourself.
- Always ware a safety glass that protects your eyes.
- Carefully handle the appliance such as scissor and diy knife.
- I suggest to do this science project with your parents, teachers or any elders.
Alternative process for making convection experiment :
There are a lot of science projects from which we can learn convection. One good example is pinwheel convection experiment. This is the experiment where a pin wheel is kept above burning candle. This pin wheel rotates due to hear transfer form candle.
A simple Dc motor is a easy 5th grade science project. You can easily make a working model of dc motor. This project helps you to learn about working of DC motor.
Homemade compass helps us to find direction. We can make this science project with common items. A simple bar magnet can be used as compass.
Also read 5th grade science fair projects :
- Robotic Arm
- Wheel And Axle Science Experiment
- Earth Layers Science project
- Rising Water Experiment
- Seed Germination Experiment
Q&A on Convection Experiment :
1. What is convection experiment?
Convection experiment is a cool science project which helps us to understand convection. It gives ideas about convection heat transfer and convection current.
2. Convection cells :
Convection cell is basically a area where convection current takes place. A hot fluid flows towards cold fluid and cold fluid comes in this vacant place.
3. Convection currents in mantle :
Mantle is one of of earth’s layer. We know that core of earth is very hot. Molten materials earths surface rises outside towards mantle and cools here. And materials from mantle sinks in core. This cause convection current in mental.
4. How is energy transferred ?
Basically heat energy transfers from three process. Conduction , convection and radiation.
5. Where do convection currents occur ?
Convection current occurs in only two state of matter. One in gas and next in liquid. One good example is earths mantle where this process happens.
If you are searching any 5th grade science fair projects. I hope this experiment can be of great help. This documentation can be best for your working model.
If you like this science project or has any queries about this project. You can simply comment us at our comment section.
For more, 5th Grade science projects log on to SCHOOLSCIENCEEXPERIMENTS.COM