How to Make Earthquake Detector :
There are lots of natural calamities we are facing through out the year. Some of them are floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, tornadoes, volcanic eruptions, etc. Well today we are discussing about earthquake and also learning to make earthquake detector.
As an student we must learn about earthquake, how it occurs and protection. Well to day let us learn how to make earthquake detector.
This school science project can be best for grade 7,8 and grade 9 students.You can use this science experiment for understanding electric circuit. How does a earthquake detector works. It can also be your next science fair ideas.
What is earthquake detector ?
” Earthquake detector or a earthquake alarm is a device that sense earthquake and alerts people. So, that they can move for safety. ”
We can find a lot of earthquake detectors in a market. Some smart phone apps are also exists. But it would be best i we can make one at our house or at school.
If you want to make one you can follow below article. We can also learn about many science terms via this school science projects such as earthquake, Switch, buzzer, led, etc.
Earthquake alarm project helps us to answers some questions like :
- How to make earthquake detector ?
- What is earthquake alarm ?
- Effects of earthquake.
- Preventive measures of earthquake ?
- Earthquake detector science project.
This science experiment is best way to learn about earthquake. Now let us make our science project.
Materials Required for Earthquake alarm :
We have made this cool science project using simple materials found around our house and nearby electronic store. Some of materials needed for making this alarm experiment are :
- Cardboard’s of different size which are as given. We have to cut cardboard at different measurements for proper design. For frame structure we can also use ply wood or a plexiglass. Measurements of cardboard are,
- One cardboard with length 15cm and breadth of 11cm.
- Two cardboard’s with length of 15cm and breadth of 2cm.
- Four cardboard’s with 107cm length and breadth of 2cm.
- Two cardboard’s with length of 3cm and breadth of 2cm.
- And lastly one cardboard having length 4cm and breadth of 2cm.
- 9 volt battery is used as a main power supply for this science project. If you do not have 9 volt cell then you can use either 1.5 volt battery or an adapter.
- Three small metal nuts are used as a weight. Some other materials can also be used such as stone or metal ball or marbles.
- Buzzer is main component of our science project. Buzzer can be purchased at electrical store.
- Electronic component are led, a switch and a wire connector that has hole.
- Some of other basic materials are also needed such as hot melting glue, color paper, diy knife, metal scale, etc.
How To Make Earthquake Detector Step by Step:
After collecting all the materials needed for earthquake detector, let us start our science project. Here we have provided step by step guide to make earthquake alarm.
- First of all cut all the the cardboard as above measurements. For this we have used a diy mat, a metal scale and X-ACTO knife. I suggest you to handle this device properly other wise it may cut our body part.
- After the cardboard is ready as above given measurements we have glued color paper for better look.
- With the help of hot melting glue we have glued the base of earthquake detector. You can make other design of base also.
- As base is ready now make two towers. One small where we fix buzzer and other higher.
- Now arrange the wire as in below video. We make a small hole at the higher tower. Where we pass naked wire. At the end of this wire we have fixed three small metal nut. This makes wire vertically inclined. At the middle of this wire we put a metal hook having circular space at the middle. (Note when the wire touches this hook circuit is completed that cause ringing of buzzer and light will glow concurrently.)
- We fixed a 9 volt batter one end of base which is connects to battery connector. One end of battery connector is connected to higher tower. and next is connected to switch, buzzer, led and finally to the hook.
- Now when the switch is on and if wire touches the round hook then circuit is completed and buzzer is ring with glowing of led.
- Note (My friend there is things to understand i.e, led and buzzer are a diode. Which means that they pass current in only one direction.) We have to take in mind that current must be flow as rated or indexed.
- Finally our school science project is ready for demo.
Earthquake Alarm Project Video :
For better demo of this project, you can simply follow below video.
Here is full process of making this school science project earthquake alarm project in video form. This is our YouTube channel DIY Projects. We also have crated many other school science projects in our channel. We also provide many science fair ideas for school students.
Earthquake Detector Project Explanation :
We can learn many things via this cool school science experiment. Some of the important topics are noted bellow.
- Earthquake :
Earthquake is a natural disaster in which earth shakes. This cause mass destruction as its magnitude. Earthquake is measured via special typed of device known as seismograph.
- Causes of Earthquake :
There are four types of earthquake according to its formation. Some time tectonic plates inside earth are displaced that occurs vacuum due to which some part of earth falls that cause earth quake. When there is volcanic eruption that brings shaking of earth. Some time collapsing of two different big bodies also causes quack. Now a day we have developed different big explosives like nuclear bomb. The explosion of such explosive may also introduce earthquake.
- Effects of earthquake :
When earthquake occurs then normally this brings many natural calamities. When this comes near human settlement then this may take humans life. There are lots of human loses due to earthquake. Some time it may introduce other disaster such as landslide, tsunami that may also disrupt human life.
- Earthquake Alarm :
As we have read many disadvantages of earthquake. Some time people can’t feel it. So let us learn how to make earthquake alarm. This detector helps to alert us from earthquake sot that we can make plan for future. Many time this alarm can be life saver too. With simple materials and science concept we can easily make this cool alarm. This earthquake detector also can be great science project that can be demonstrated at science fairs.
Advantages of Earthquake detector Project :
There are lots of advantages of this cool science experiment. We have mention some of the merits below :
With the help of this device we can find our that earth has sake. Now we can go in safe place.
- Earthquake detector helps us to get knowledge about different devices such as led and buzzer. How they can be operated and handle.
- This type of science experiments always attracts students towards study of science and also helps to answer many questions.
- We can also get good knowledge about the concept behind earthquake detector.
- This science project can be great science fair ideas.
- It also motivate us in science work shops.
Safety tips while making this science project :
Our first priority before doing any science project must always be safety. We always suggest you to perform any science project protecting yourself.
- Always ware a safety glass while doing this science project which protects your eyes.
- Care fully handle the diy knife. If not it may break and cut your body.
- Do this science project with your parents, teachers or any senior brother and sister.
- Properly handle the soldering iron otherwise it may burn your body part.
Alternative process for making Earthquake detector :
We can make a lot of science experiments that properly explains earthquake detector. One of good experiment is one we have shown above.
Earthquake alarm can be made in a simple box. We can also use a arduino based project also. After using arduino we can send some digital messages too to our phone.
Some of cool school science experiments :
- How to make Water Dispenser
- How To Make a Wheel And Axle
- School Science project Lungs Model
- Balloon Rocket Experiment
- How To make Compass At Home
If you like this science project or has any queries about how to make earthquake detector. Which is one of the experiment related to physics. You can simply comment us at our comment section.