Seed germination experiment is a cool biology science project of school students.There are lots of experiments for learning germination. Today we are making seed germination process. We can learn different stages of germination.
This is easy science project that can be done with materials found around house. Hence, it can also be easily done at home. We have used some of common materials such as , glass (or a beaker) , bean and ice cream stick ( or a scale) for making this science project.
If you are searching some biology projects. This science project Seed germination experiment can be great idea. Germination of seed experiment is best suitable for school students from class 3, 4 and 5 .
What is Seed Germination ?
The process of growing of seed into a plant after getting favorably conditions is known as seed germination. This experiment helps us to know different environmental factors for germination.
Seed germination project is related to biology. We can easily demonstrate this project and also get knowledge via this project.
Germination experiment helps us to answers many questions like :
- How to germinate seed?
- What is seed germination experiment?
- Factors affecting germination.
- Different stages of germination.
- It can be great biology project ideas.
This experiment is best way to learn favorable conditions for germination. From this cool science project we can know that water is necessary for germination. We can also get knowledge about how to do this cool science project.
Materials Required For Seed Germination Experiment :
This project can be made from different materials available in our house. We have made this science experiment using very simple materials. Some of materials needed for this germination of seed are :
- Take a medium size beaker. If we don’t have baker then medium size water glass can also be used.
- We need a one liter clean water.
- It is good to use color Popsicle stick. If not a normal 15 cm scale can also be used.
- As our seed is germination we need a seed. For this we have used gram seed. You can use other seed too.
- Lastly we also need a string. In our case we have used three different color thread.
Procedure for Seed Germination Experiment :
As all materials are collected now its time to do this science experiment.
- First of all take a gram seed and a piece of thread. Tie this gram seed to the Popsicle stick in three different positions. Two at the either ends and one at the middle.
- As we tie gram to Popsicle sticks put this arrangement inside a beaker. If you don’t have beaker, you can use a water glass.
- Now Pour clean water in the beaker about to full.
- After this its time to put his arrangement in a place and leave it for 36 hours.
- Finally as we return after 36 hours we can see some grams germinates and other does not. Hence our science project is completed.
Seed Germination Process Video :
For better demo of preparation of this project, we have embedded our working process below in video format.
Here is full process of making this science project in video form. This is our YouTube channel DIY Projects. We also have crated many other school science projects in our channel. We also provide many science fair ideas for school students.
Seed Germination Experiment :
This is a cool kids science experiment that is great for students from grade 3,4 and 5. We can perform this experiment in our house also. Form this project we get knowledge about germination, different conditions for germination and stages of germination.
Factors affecting germination :
There are different factors affecting germination. Some of the important factors are water, sunlight, air (oxygen), and warmth (temperature).
Water is needed for germination :
Water is one of the essential factor necessary for the germination. We can see that when gram is in contact with water then gram absorbs water and grow big. In our experiment after 36 hours we can see that middle and bottom grams size is increased. As there are immersed inside water. And for the middle one a we see young shoot plant.
Air is needed for germination :
As water, air is also essential for germination. In our experiment we can see that gram seed that is on top don’t germinate. Since there is absent of water. For bottom one it do not get air hence no germination. For middle gram it gets both air and water hence, It grows into new plant.
Temperature is needed for germination :
Another important factors is temperature. We know that temperature is plays great role for germination. Plants cant grow or germinate in extreme cold temperature of at extreme hot temperature too.
Stages of germination :
For further we can also learn about different stages of germination. There are five different distinct stages.
Advantages of germination of seed experiment :
There are lots of advantages of this seed germination experiment. We have mention some of the merits :
- We can get knowledge about germination process.
- This project helps us to learn about different factors need for germination.
- This science project can be great science fair ideas for kids.
Safety tips while making Germination Experiment :
Our first priority before doing any science project must always be safety. We always suggest you to perform any science project protecting yourself.
- Always ware a safety glass which protects your eyes.
- Carefully handle the beaker or glass vessel.
- Do this science project with your parents, teachers or any senior brother and sister presence.
Alternative process for Seed Germination experiment :
This science experiment is best to explain that different factors necessary for germination. It better explains water is necessary for germination.
We can make another germination related science experiment. Do this experiment in different temperature condition and note the results. Also try in presence of oxygen an in vacuum too.
Some of school science projects :
- Rising Water Experiment
- How To Make a Wheel And Axle
- Walking Water Experiment
- Solar System Model
- How To make Hydraulic Jack
- Pin Wheel Science Experiment
- How To make Compass At Home
If you like this science project or has any queries about seed germination experiment. You can simply comment use at our comment section.
For more, Science Projects Projects log on to SCHOOLSCIENCEEXPERIMENTS.COM