Compass is a device that helps us to navigate four different directions. Four directions are north, south, east and west. We can get compass easily form our nearby stores. It also can be made easily at home can called as DIY Compass. Today we are giving to answer one question How To Make Simple Compass.
There are lot’s of ways to make homemade compass. One we have given in our previous post. With some common materials such as bar magnet, card boards, clamp diy compass can be easily made.
If you are searching some Physics projects, This science project Diy compass can be great idea. This science project how to make simple compass is best suitable for school students from class 3, 4 and 5.
What is Compass ?
We all know that compass is a simple magnetic device that indicates two directions North and South. In modern days compass can be made easily any where. People used to use compass for finding earth poles.
A compass consist two poles north pole and south pole. Normally a bar magnet is used to make homemade compass. Now a day there are various apps in our smart phone that also works as compass.
Electric magnet also be made which can also be used for finding direction. Diy compass is related to physics and magnetism. We can make this project and gain information and properties of magnet.
Simple Compass experiment helps us to answers many questions like :
- How to make simple compass at home?
- What is compass ?
- How does the compass works.
- Properties of magnet.
- How to use compass ?
- It can be one of the science project ideas.
This experiment is best way to learn ho to make compass at home. From this cool science project we can learn working mechanism of compass.
Materials Required To Make Compass :
This project is a simple science project made from different materials found around our house. We have made this science experiment using very simple materials. Some of materials needed for this homemade compass are :
- I have taken a three small rectangular bar magnet. You can use one single large bar magnet also.
- Four cardboard are used to make frame for compass.
- We have used three color paper red, blue and green. Yo can also use origami paper.
- A glue is needed to stick color paper with cardboard.
- Cloth clip is used for attaching string.
- Lastly we also need a string and other basic materials like pencil, scale, cutting cut mat board, hot melting glue, etc.
How To Make Simple Compass :
After all materials are collected now its time to make this science experiment.
- First of all take one base cardboard having dimension of 22cm length and breadth 8cm. We also need one cardboard with 23cm length and breadth of 8cm as top beam. And finally four 14cm length and breadth of 3cm as side walls.
- We have used green color paper to cover the cardboard.
- A small hole is made at the middle of beam where we are passing a hole.
- Now a its time to glue side wall and top beam.
- Cloth clamp is used to attach thread. This thread is pass through the hole via beam. We have used three different bar magnet and used as a bar magnet which is then tied. You can also use bar magnet if available.
- Small piece of red color and blue color paper is taken for indicating direction. North pole and south pole of magnet.
- Finally, this magnet is freely suspended so that it shows the corresponding directions.
DIY Compass Video :
For better demo of preparation of this project, we have embedded our working process below in video format.
Here is full process of making this science project in video form. This is our YouTube channel DIY Projects. We also have crated many other school science projects in our channel. We also provide many science fair ideas for school students.
Simple Compass Experiment :
This is a cool kids science experiment that is great for students from grade 3,4 and 5. We can perform this experiment in our house or at classroom. It also can be great ideas for science fair ideas. Form this project we get knowledge about compass, properties of magnet and how to make compass at yourself:
How does compass works :
It is well known fact that when a compass is set it indicates all direction. Well let as know the reason behind this.
Our earth is very large body. Form our science book we know that any large body consist attraction force. Our earth also has attracting capacity called as gravity. Our earth also consist of two poles. One earths north pole and earths south pole.
When we freely suspend a bar magnet (compass). It’s north pole is attracted to North pole of earths magnet. Which is basically the south pole in actual. Similarly bar magnet south pole is attracted to south pole of earths magnet which is north pole of earths magnet.
This phenomena cause the bar magnet to show north and south direction.
Properties of magnet :
Here are five different properties of magnet that we must know.
- A freely suspended bar magnet always shows north and south pole. This is the law which we are proving via our science project.
- Magnet always attracts the magnetic substance like iron , nickel, cobalt, etc.
- Like pole of bar magnet (“south pole and south pole” or “north pole and north pole”) re pail with each other.
- Opposite poles of a bar magnet (“south pole and north pole” or “north pole and south pole”) attract with each other.
- When we measure the attracting force on a bar magnet then attracting capacity at the poles is always greater then in middle parts.
Advantages of Diy Compass :
There are lots of advantages of this homemade compass. We have mention some of the merits :
- We can know the different laws of magnet.
- This project helps us to learn about magnet and its properties.
- It encourages us to make different experiments at our house and learn about science projects.
- This science project can be great science fair ideas for kids.
Safety tips while making Compass at home :
Our first priority before doing any science project must always be safety. We always suggest you to perform any science project protecting yourself.
- Always ware a safety glass that protects your eyes.
- Carefully handle the appliance such as scissor and diy knife.
- I suggest to do this science project with your parents, teachers or any elders.
Alternative process for making compass at home :
We can also make compass home alternatively. For this take a thermocol and a bar magnet. Place thermocol on the water and a bar magnet. As we do this this arrangement, Bar magnet starts to rotate and finally it shows north pole and south pole.
For further detail you can read from this link. Homemade Compass.
You can also make homemade compass from other process to. For this i suggest you to do some research.
Also read Some school Science Projects :
- Rising Water Experiment
- How To Make a Wheel And Axle
- Walking Water Experiment
- Solar System Model
- How To make Hydraulic Jack
- Pin Wheel Science Experiment
- How To make Compass At Home
If you like this science project or has any queries about DIY Compass or How To Make Simple Compass. You can simply comment use at our comment section.