We are using a lot of lift system in our daily life. There are many types of lift system. Well friends today we are making manual lift or manual elevator at home. This pulley lift science project is easy to build and can be good ideas for science fair .
This manual lift science project uses pulley system. And we know that pulley is a simple machine. So it helps us to learn about simple machine mainly pulley. It’s uses and applications.
Manual elevator system is cool middle school science project that is best for students form grade 6 to 8. It is also one of the good example of simple machine science projects.
What is Pulley Lift System ?
Lift is basically a machine that helps us to move upward. On the basis of mechanism for making lift we can categories lift into many types. If a lift is made with hydraulic system the it is hydraulic lift.
Well here we are using pulley for lifting load. Here it is elevator using pulley system.
Pulley lift science project helps us to answers many questions like :
- How to make a pulley lift system ?
- Application of pulley.
- elevator working model .
- science fair ideas with pulley.
Materials needed for Manual pulley system :
There are a lot of items we need for making Working model of pulley lift. We have listed some of the essential items.
- 4 bobbins.
- Bamboo stick.
- DIY Knife.
- Cutting mat.
Pulley Lift Science Project :
After all materials are collected now its time to do this science experiment
- First of all take a take a cardboard and cut into number of pieces as in video.
- For better design and distinct view we can cut middle part of side cardboard’s.
- Now its time to make lift itself.
- For this take some small cardboard’s and make a cubical shape using hot melting glue. If you do not have hot melting glue i suggest you to get one. Since it make our work easier and nite. If not then there are other options such as glue.
- Glue all the side walls and make a building shape.
- Make four holes at each side walls. And pass bamboo through it. Fix four bobbins over each bamboo stick.
- Attach a pulley handle at one end of bamboo stick.
- Glue one end of string at top of lift body and pass through all baboons. Next end of string is glued at bottom of lift.
- Finally as we rotate pulley handle our lift moves upward and downward.
How to make an elevator ?
For better demo of preparation of this project, we have embedded our working process below in video format.
Here is full process of making this science project in video form. This is our YouTube channel DIY Projects. We also have crated many other school science projects in our channel. We also provide many science fair ideas for school students.
Pulley lift System Explanation :
We can get a lots of information from this manual lift science experiment.
Case 1 : (When we rotate pulley clockwise)
This is a lift based on mechanical effort. As we rotate pulley handle clockwise it rotates whole system. As a result our pulley lift science project moves upward.
Here, with rotation of pulley all bobbins also starts to rotate. Which eventually moves lift in upward direction.
Case 1 : (When we rotate pulley anticlockwise)
As we rotate pulley handle anticlockwise it rotates all bobbins in anti clock wise direction. This eventually moves lift in down direction.
Pulley is a type of simple machine that contains wheel that rotates on an axle with the help of rope. One end of rope contains load and effort is applied at another end.
How does a pulley make work easier ?
It is a basic thing as we use simple machine it defiantly makes our work easy and increase speed. Here are few reasons:
1. Change in direction :
It is always easy to apply force in our desirable direction. Rather then in upward direction. With the help of pulley we can apply force at any direction for lifting load.
2. mechanical advantage of pulley :
Mechanical advantage of pulley is calculated as the number of pulley used. If a pulley system includes two pulleys then it ma is 2.
There are three types of pulley fixed pulley, moveable pulley and compound pulley.
Advantages of pulley lift Science project :
There are many advantages of Pulley Lift science project. Some of them are listed below.
- Pulley helps to lift heavy load with small effort.
- It gives mechanical advantage while doing work.
- It helps to understand the lift working model .
- This science project pulley lift helps students to learn about lift, pulley, force, simple machine, etc.
We have done many other simple machine science projects. Some of these science projects are Hydraulic crane science project, Hydraulic JCB Project, Hydraulic Lift, Wheel And Axle Science Project, Robotic Arm science project, etc
Safety tips while making Pulley :
Our first priority before doing any science project must always be safety. We always suggest you to perform any science project protecting yourself.
- Always ware a safety glass that protects your eyes.
- Be careful while cutting plastic bottle.
- Properly dispose the plastic waste. Since it damages our environment.
- We suggest to do this science project with your parents, teachers or any elders.
Alternative process for making Pulley Elevator System :
There are a lot of science projects you can do in place of this pulley lift. Some of science projects ideas using pulley are :
Plastic bottle Pulley : It is a simple pulley science project where it is used to take water form a well. It is a fun science project for elementary school kids. This kids science project helps us to recycle plastic bottle.
Wheel And Axle Science Project is also another science project for learning about simple machine wheel and axle. Here we are making a traditional well where wheel and axle is used to take water form this well.
Electric Generator Science Project is another cool science project for elementary school. Here we use a mechanical energy to rotate shaft of dc motor. Which in return produces electricity. This electricity is can be used for many purpose. Here we are glowing a LED.
Also read Science fair projects for students :
- Robotic Arm
- Wheel And Axle Science Experiment
- Earth Layers Science project
- Rising Water Experiment
- Seed Germination Experiment
If you are searching any Simple machine science projects. I hope this experiment can be of great help. This documentation can be best for your working model of Pulley lift .
If you like this science project or has any queries about this project. You can simply comment us at our comment section.