Grade 5 Science Project Ideas “Homemade Compass” :
We can easily make a compass at our house. If we have knowledge about magnetic property then compass can be easily built. Some grade 5 science project ideas are demonstrated.
If you are a student for primary level and are searching for Primary school science projects then this project can be great idea for you. Today in our class we are reading about a magnetism. Our task is to make compass from home supplies . So let us make a homemade compass.And also find the reason behind working of a compass. What is magnetism and Properties of magnet. Homemade compass is easy Primary school science experiment.
Materials Required for making a compass at home :
- A big size bowel.
- A bottle of water.
- A bar magnet or three square magnets just like mine.
- Few color papers. And
- Water color , I have used red ink.
Process of Making Homemade Compass Project :
- First of all take a clean bowel .
- Pour water at this bowel about to full.
- It is better to use color for distinct view, So i have used a red color.
- Cute a thermocol in circular shape that fits inside the bowl.
- Slowly put this thermocol on the bowl.
- Gently put the bar magnet on thermocol .
- After this slowly your bar magnet will starts to float in rotating motion and stops showing north and south pole.
It is fun to do this Primary school science experiment. The real reason behind the showing of north and south pole by bar magnet is due to one of the property of magnet. “If a bar magnet is suspended freely then it always shows north and south pole.”
We know that earth it self has a magnetic property. It also has two poles north and south. Basically what happens is North pole of earth is attracted to south pole of our bar magnet . And South pole of earth is attracted to north pole of our bar magnet.
As a result our bar magnet eventually show north pole and south pole due to effect of earths magnet.
We have demonstrated a bar magnet that is showing North pole and South pole when freely suspended. You can easily understand and perform this projects easily at your school, class room or may be at your home. It is always fun to do school science projects and learn about the property of magnet.
Properties of magnet for 5th grade :
- A freely suspended bar magnet always shows north and south pole.
- Magnet always attracts the magnetic substance like iron , nickel, cobalt, etc.
- Like pole of magnet (“south pole and south pole” or “north pole and north pole”) re pail with each other.
- Opposite poles of a magnet(“south pole and north pole” or “north pole and south pole”) attract with each other.
- When we measure the attracting force on a bar magnet then attracting capacity at the poles is always greater then its middle parts.
Safety Tips for School Science Project :
First priority before doing any science project is safety.We always suggest you to perform any science project protecting yourself. Some of the steps for your safety for this projects how to make homemade compass are:
- Always ware a safety glass which protects your eyes .
- Do this science project with your parents, teachers or any senior brother and sister.
- Properly handle vessel as it may easily break when it falls.
- Do this experiment in open area.
Alternative process for making Grade 5 Science Project Ideas “Homemade Compass” .
You can also do this primary science experiment alternatively also. For this take a bar magnet, tie it with a string and tie on any place from where bar magnet can freely suspended. When you gently leave the magnet then it starts to rotate and finally rests showing north pole an south pole.
For this you can follow this link Diy Compass.
Grade 5 Science Project Ideas “Homemade Compass”.